Sunday 16 August 2015

No.30

 I can hear them at night, just after I've gone to bed, scuttling about the house, opening kitchen cupboards, slamming the freezer door so it bounces back open, enough to defrost the food at the front of the drawers by morning. They leave empty cereal bowls scattered about the house in the most unlikely of places and glasses, don't get me started on the glasses.....
          You know what I'm talking about, don't you? Yes, teenagers.
   Karen knows all about teenagers, she has four and her final child will be one in a few weeks time. Karen and I had a catch up cuppa a few days back, otherwise known as me escaping from the house of madness for a few hours and I was going through my daily shopping list.
" A six pint container of milk, a loaf of bread, two packets of cereal bars and two boxes of cereal...and that's before they have eaten any meals!!"
  The folks who work in Tesco and the Co-op are now on my (fictional) Christmas card list as I'm in there so often.
     Karen nods, because you know what...she understands......
       You see we have a connection, in fact we have quite a few, twins, five kids, book reading, cookery and much more and that's what makes for a great friendship.
         When Robin and I first met in the three weeks before we actually started to go out, we spent hours together talking about our likes and dislikes and were amazed by how much we had in common. We didn't like trifle, we both wanted to call our first son James. Our faith in Jesus was the ultimate thing in both our lives, we wanted to learn to waltz and go to tea dances and the list went on. Nine days after we started to date, Robin asked me to marry him and now after 25 years of being together we have a son called James, we still prefer not to eat trifle and we failed miserably at waltzing. Thankfully our faith has seen us through the good times and the bad and the connections that we made back in those early days hold us together and weave the fabric of our lives.
         The wonder of being a part of someone's wedding day is that at the beginning I may not even know the couple very well, if at all and by the end I have made a connection with them. It may be fragile and tenuous or in some cases it may be strong and robust, but it is still there and I am privileged to be a part of it all.
    Some families connect more than others. Robin did Evan's baby blessing about 6 years ago for Yvonne and Stuart and since then has had the pleasure of marrying Yvonne's Uncle Colin to the lovely Sarah, Yvonne's Step-brother Gordon to Louise and doing the baby blessing of their daughter Brooklyn. I have worked with Yvonne's Mum, Lorna from time to time and we often see her and her husband Richard at weddings, as I mentioned before, she's my wedding mentor!
   Ashleigh is Lorna's niece, Yvonne's cousin and though we had only met once before, at Colin and Sarah's wedding, I felt a connection because of the rest of the family.
       Our invitation told us that Ardoe House was the venue for the day and we were packing our bags as we had kindly been given a room for the night by Andrew and Ashleigh, what a treat!
    I had been up since six am getting my blog done for David and Katrina's wedding the day before. Robin had given me a deadline of 11am for heading off and by 10.30am was looking at me with raised eyebrows as I put the finishing touches on Mr and Mrs McLean's story, assuring him that I would be ready to go on time.
   At 10.59am I started the car, bag packed, hair done, my Onnada dress on and makeup looking passable. The only thing I didn't have time for was painting my nails, so I packed my nail varnish in my wedding bag and off we set.
We arrived at Ardoe at 12.30pm, after traversing the Saturday traffic in Aberdeen and the rain was coming down at a steady pace. I was pretty sure that a bit of water wouldn't dampen Ashleigh's day, if she was anything like her Aunty Lorna, so we headed inside to have a look around.
   
Unlike this picture of the main hallway, which I took this morning when everyone was in their beds and we were leaving, the reception area was full of kilted and suit laden guests all trying to book in to their rooms. We decided to wait till later and headed off to find the function suite. We passed Andrew and his groomsmen posing for pictures and as I looked to the right saw a room set out for a wedding, chairs covered and tied with blue ribbons. We walked in and were told by a member of staff that we were at the wrong wedding, there were two that day, so they gave us directions and off we headed to the 'Ballroom'.
         After a few wrong turns we found our destination and enjoyed a browse round the 160 seats taking in all the beautiful decorations and perfect touches.
   The chairs were tied with pale pink sheer ribbons creating an aisle that was lined with fresh pink rose petals and huge vases with three pillar candles in each. At the front were candelabras and arrangements of  floating candles and pale pink hydrangeas with crystal embossed hearts. 
     I decide to sit down and start my nails, when a guest came in wearing her jeans and a sweatshirt, and told us that she was going to light all the candles. Well, as she obviously hadn't finished getting ready, I felt it only fair to offer my candle lighting services, for which she seemed very grateful and once I finally sussed there was a cap on the lighter and that's why it wouldn't light, I managed a not bad job.
  I even had time to do my nails before all the guests came in and took their seats. I had a great view of all the wonderful outfits with their facinators and had a quick hello from Lorna and Yvonne who were both looking beautiful.
        We stood and waited for Ashleigh to make her entrance and make an entrance she did. The music started with 'Here come the girls' by the Sugababes and in came the four bridesmaids in powder pink, wrap over, chiffon, full length dressed with a delicate silver lace shoulder piece. Ashleigh and her Mum followed. Brenda in a classic tailored dress, matching the bridesmaids in colour with Ashleigh on her arm looking quite stunning.
          She wore a strapless full length dress with train. The bodice was champagne ruched silk, matching roses trailing down, embellished with diamonte trimmed leaves. The skirt of the dress was ivory chiffon that had been pulled up in an almost Victorian bustle at the back with the fabric falling in beautiful pinned up sections to her train, occasional matching champagne silk roses attached all the way down.
       She had a matching facinator  formed with silk leaves trimmed with diamonte placed at a jaunty angle on her perfectly coiffured hair. What style!
Robin spoke of the threads of their lives connecting together and wondering what kind of fabric they would make together.
   At this point I started to cough and I suppose, the more you try to hold it in, the worse it gets, so rather than ruin the videographer's recording of the day, I made a hasty exit managing to bring things under control in the ladies bathroom where I could let rip without fear of being heard.
    On my way back in to the ceremony I was met by a groomsman coming in the opposite direction. I wondered if he had a hidden love for Ashleigh and couldn't bear to stand and watch the ceremony any more or maybe had a few too many bucks fizz in the morning and didn't want to be sick over the happy couple...?
I was back in time to hear them say their vows and we watched as they signed the schedule accompanied by the wonderful singer, Millicent, who sang 'From this moment'. We all clapped as they kissed and toasted each other from the quaiche as the new Mr and Mrs Ritchie.
       We were guided through to the adjoining foyer to hear more of Millicent and enjoy a glass of punch and some canapes.
 The rain decided it was here to stay and really with such an event going on, who wouldn't want to? Ashleigh and Andrew had an ice cream van in attendance, parked outside, for all the guests to enjoy, so I sent Robin off to get us a couple of 99s while I chatted to James the groomsman and found out the reason behind his hasty exit from his position of honour.
        He had mentioned before the ceremony, while the lads were waiting at the front, that he needed the toilet. Robin had told him that he had plenty of time to go but he had decided to wait and half way through the service realised that he had made a bad call.
   Majorly affronted, his only consolation was that I too had left the ceremony and was sure that people would understand that when a man has to go...he really has to go! Connection made, Robin came back a little bit wet but laden with ice cream and we made our way back inside.
I managed to get a few shots of the bridesmaids so you can see how beautiful their dresses were but then I saw pictures on Facebook that Stephanie, one of the four lovely ladies had posted and so I've nicked a few ( with her kind permission) so you can see how amazing they all looked.


  It was time to book in to our room, so we headed back to reception and got our key finding it with not too much difficulty. 
   It was beautiful, obviously fairly recently done up to a very high standard. Everything with a touch of tartan in muted shades but very modern with clean lines. Look, here's our amazing bathroom and me with my 'Minnie Mouse' dress and my newly done nails.

We had a cup of tea as Robin watched some HD Tv. I don't think it'll ever catch on folks (far to clear and realistic for me) and we headed back for lineup time.
         The man with the PA system told us all to head to the ballroom for our meal and we did a quick 'up close and personal' with the newly weds before finding our place at the' Amor' table with Lorna, Colin and Sarah, their son Nathan and  and cousins from 'The other side' (!) up from Fife for the weekend.
The piper played and led Andrew and Ashleigh in to the room as we clapped along and we sneaked up for a few photos as they cut the cake.
Colin was a bit nervous about giving his speech as he had printed it out in a very small font and the lighting was ambient, to say the least. He managed really well speaking of his love for Ashleigh, thanking Brenda and Derek, her Step-father for their role in bringing Ashleigh up, welcoming Andrew in to the family, knowing that he would look after her in his new role as husband. 
             Andrew said his and Ashleigh's thank yous and Jonathan his best man gave a colourful speech leaving no stone unturned when it came to abusing Andrew in his former years.
               Derek, Ashleigh's Step-father also said a few words and  Granda said  a lovely Scottish grace while we all sat down to our meal.
The favours were pins giving a donation to Diabetes Scotland and The Anchor unit in Aberdeen that helps cancer patients and their families, a very proud addition to my wedding bag.
           Our meal was served with amazing efficiency, Carrot and Coriander soup to start and then braised beef with various veg and a green aniseed flavoured mashed potato, all totally delicious.


  We even managed the trio of wonderful puddings and I slipped off to get a picture of Ashleigh's head piece for you all to get a closer look....gorgeous!
A special gift of flowers was given to the Mums and we witnessed a very tender moment as Ashleigh, with tears in her eyes, gave her beautiful bouquet of flowers to Lorna who obviously holds a special place in her heart, to place on the grave of her Granda, Lorna's Dad, in the cemetery back in Macduff.
   After teas, coffees and very pleasant company, we headed back to enjoy our room before the evening dance. We followed the bride and her posse of beautiful bridesmaids as they headed off for the dreaded toilet stop, never an easy option when you are wearing so many layers. We watched as they stopped at the lift and  we decided to take the stairs, hoping that they wouldn't get stuck on the way down to the bottom floor, just a little bit of a squeeze!
        Shoes off, resting on our amazingly comfortable bed  and watching a bit of Indiana Jones, for a wee while, was pure joy and soon it was time to get back to the action.
       With amazing efficiency the PA man managed to get everyone to their right places and the Grand March was underway. Ashleigh and Andrew led the Bridal party and looked as though they were having a ball.

The band was called 'Splash' and it was the first time we had heard of them but were very impressed. Andrew and Ashleigh took to the floor for their first dance and we watched as they were serenaded, looking extremely happy and in love.
               The dance floor was pretty much full from the start and we enjoyed a few moves only giving in when my voice gave way telling me that I needed to call it a day. Robin had already spoken to Andrew and Ashleigh, who knew that we would be bowing out early, so we said goodnight to everyone and headed for bed.
      I had a great night's sleep, despite having to nod off while Robin was watching the football in HD again deciding to wake me at 7am doing the same thing. Heavens above, you'd think he never got to watch TV with all those teenagers hogging the remote all the time.
      We were first up and enjoyed a delicious cooked breakfast in the empty dining room served by a lovely waiter called Linda. When Robin asked him if it was really is name he replied that he had lost his name badge and had to borrow someone else's as it is against Hotel policy to not wear one..poor Linda!
       When we checked out the sun was shining and I managed to get a shot of the Hotel front, unable to the day before, for fear of ruining my dress, being totally unprepared for wet weather.
        
Well I'm tired now, but it was well worth it for a lovely weekend of weddings.
     Id like to thank Andrew and Ashleigh for letting us be a part of their day and for making our time with them so pleasant and relaxing.
       I'm sure that each word of their vows,  message of love in every card and every wish of congratulations will only add to the fabric of Mr and Mrs Ritchie's life together, making it stronger and more durable, setting them off  in married life as a very well connected couple indeed x



    


          

        


        
         

No comments:

Post a Comment