Monday 19 January 2015

The story so far

The first one was in 2004, there was only one that year. 2005 and 2006 there were three, all very civilised I hear you say.One in 2007, surely that would be the end of the wedding invitations...but no, seven in 2008 and eight in 2009, now the word was getting out and the tipping point had been reached pouring into 2010. 14 weddings in one year, I mean how many dresses can one girl buy ( or recycle!). 2011 there were twenty two, twenty in 2012, thirty two in 2013 and an unbelieveable forty one last year.....now don't get me wrong, we aren't an amazing popular couple that people love to have around on their big day, though you would be forgiven for thinking that, as our mantlepiece gets heavier with each invite.
   I am the wife of a wedding celebrant. Well, that's his official title. I like to call him Robin, father of five, grandfather to one. Leader of a small fellowship in Macduff, a small fishing village in the North East of Scotland. I use the term 'leader' loosely as he is absent a lot of the time visiting families for their loved ones' funeral or couples in preparation for their big day.
    My role in the whole process is to be his plus one. Our social life is a whirl of tartan, huge meals, blessings, handfastings, quiachs,great company, wine, whiskey, taxi rides, hotel stays and more. Now at the end of 2014 Robin has done a total of 152 weddings in the last ten years , most of which I have had the pleasure of attending.
    This year he has been booked to do 50 ( so far) and I have decided to write a  blog about those that I am invited to. The small ones, the huge ones, the posh ones, the simple ones, the dresses, the food, the music and the fun that makes each couple's big day their own special and unique event. So watch this space and let the countdown begin on January 31st 2015....

No comments:

Post a Comment