Sunday 1 February 2015

No.1

Obviously I don't get to meet most of the couple's that Robin marries until their big day, but you can tell a lot about a couple by the type of wedding that they choose. Now anyone who decides to get married in the winter months gets a big thumbs up from me...here stands a couple who are not bothered about getting sunshine  and perfect lighting, they know that as long as the important people in their lives turn up that's all that really matters.
   Jill and Michael decided to get married at the Cullen Bay hotel which I'm sure is just stunning in the summer months with it's expansive panoramic views along the Moray coast. But I must say, as we sat waiting for Jill to come in and looked out the windows at the sea crashing up against the rocks just down the hill, I was thinking that a scene like that would take a lot of beating.
   My least favourite part of any wedding is the dreaded hour before the service. Robin is flitting about practicing his talky bits, making sure the schedule has arrived safely, organising quiachs, whiskey, candles and handfasting cloths, calming nervous bridegrooms and the like. I have no role at this point in the day, no one knows who I am, so I go and sit at the back of the room, bagging the furtherest away seat possible so I don't take up precious space. I have over the years tried to make this a positive hour, catching up on texts that need replying to or doing my kegels exercises ( yes ladies, you know you need to!)....but this wedding was different.
        When we arrived the door was opened for us by Ian and Reena the owners, who ushered us in and took our coats. Then they offered us tea and although Robin refused due to his 'duties' that needed attending to. I was brought a wonderful cuppa in a little sitting room where I could put my feet up, so to speak. What a treat and the attentiveness didn't stop there, we we're offered more tea and coffee after the service and Ian showed us around letting us see how beautifully they have refurbished things, and all by his own fair hand....well with the help of an amazing handy man called Paul who I can't say any more about unless someone tries to come and steal him away, needless to say he is a very valued member of staff!
       When I did sneak in to the sevice I was warmly welcomed on both sides by members of Jill and Michael's family. I really must go to Keith more often if thats what they are all like. The only down side being I didn't get a single kegels in the whole day!
        Jill came in with Ashley their little girl of 17 months as her bridesmaid, both looking really beautiful and the service began, all going smoothly until Colin, Michael's brother  and best man, pulled out the box with the rings in it, only to find there was only one. The colour drained from his face as he rifled about for the other ring, only to realise that Jill's ring fitted perfectly inside Michael's and had been hiding there all long.
             After their vows ,and the schedule had been signed ,came Ashley's turn. Today was to be her naming ceremony as well as Mum and Dad's wedding. It was a perfect complement having the focus turn to blessing this little one who was obviously so loved, not just by her Mum and Dad, but by everyone in the room and she happily took her place in the whole day, running from one part of the hotel to the other, bring joy to all.
                The rest of the day was very relaxing, more tea ( well I was driving) and then probably regreting it as I had worn a jump suit.  I won't go into too much detail, but I can be a rather chilly time when going to the 'Quines' if you have to unpeel yourself each time. Lesson learnt is all I will say.
      At the meal we were sitting with a couple that Robin had married in the summer, Rachel (Michael's neice)and Gary who are now expecting their first baby in July, I do love a sequel to a good wedding. On our other side was Jill's cousin Shirley and her partner Martin. The conversation flowed as we discussed why you shouldn't use an electric blanket with a memory foam mattress ( surely that can't be true!) and how far away you have to sleep from your partner to make sure you don't get a bruise when they kick you for snoring. I discovered that Shirley and Martin had been dating when they were 17 and then split up ( very vague on who did the dumping!) and met again about 5 years ago( 20 years later)  at a funeral and started to date again.
    The food was fantastic and really will take a bit of beating in the next 49 or so weddings. Marinated feta and olives with salad for a starter. Baked haddock with a herb crust on a mound of mash with the most amazing steamed vegetables for my main and the inevitable but totally delicious sticky toffee pudding for desert.
               Speeches were well executed, my favourite being Jill's Dad, who said what had to be said and then sat down, always brings a tear to my eye when speeches are heartfelt. Colin, the best man had come all the way from Thailand to perform his duties. I supppose it was only fair to have the wedding at the coldest time of year to remind your brother of what he is missing when he is lounging about in the 30 degree heat. That wasn't quite what he said during his speech , but something along those lines.
              After the meal we relaxed through in the bar while the staff cleared the room. We stayed for a while longer watching Mr and Mrs Mearns do their first dance to Rod Stewart's 'I don't want to talk about it', well what else is there left to say? There was a fantasic display of waltzing and  two stepping that always takes us back to the time when we went to dance classes and failed miserably to glide or float the way that older couples seem to do so effortlessly. I suppose we will have to keep doing our eighties thing right up until we are in our eighties and ignore the disparaging looks from all the young ones.
       We left everyone sitting chatting having had a lovely day and even Shirley the wedding cynic said she had a tear in her eye when she saw Michael and Jill get up to dance with Ashley in their arms, all looking so happy and fitting together perfectly. It was a pleasure to be invited to their special day and I wish them all happiness and blessings for their future  together.

          

4 comments:

  1. Was lovely to meet you on Saturday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you too Shirley. Hope you didn't slump to badly against the gear stick on the way home :)

      Delete
    2. Haha. No was awake and chatty all the way, much to Martin's annoyance 😄

      Delete